Did you know?
- 1 in 5 people have a mental illness or addiction
- 1 in 5 adults with mental illness have a co-occurring substance use disorder
- The success rates for mental health treatment are comparable to rates for asthma, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Addiction is a brain disease because the abuse of drugs leads to changes in the structure and function of the brain.
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 25-34 year olds and the second most-common cause of death in the U.S. Military.
- There are 25 attempts for every death by suicide.
- 90% of individuals who die by suicide have untreated mental illness-of those 60% have depression.
Trauma is a risk factor in nearly all behavior health disorders and can include:
- Physical, emotional or sexual abuse
- Grief and loss
- Accidents and natural disaster
- Witnessing acts of violence
- People can and do recover and treatment works
- Recovery emerges from hope
- Recovery is self-directed and empowering
- Recovery is building or rebuilding healthy families,
social and personal relationships
*Data from National Council of Behavioral Health Care and Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration